Friday, June 22, 2007

New drug

So, yesterday I went to the hospital and was given this new drug which - if the side effects aren't too serious - I'll be taking in tandem with the chemo from next week. Apparently, the most common side effect is an acne-like skin rash so I can relive my teenage years. On second thoughts, no thanks...I was a miserable teenager. I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now. Finished the Brian Keenan book and am back on crime fiction, George Pelecano's 'Hard Revoltion.' Pelcanos writes about Washington DC where he's from using a cast of characters who come from the same area and sort of bump into each other throughout the novels. His main themes are the changes in race relations and the growing power of drugs. In a way, the books work together as one huge novel in which the main character is DC itself. He's also a bit of a music anorak and his novels always have a great soundtrack. This one is set in 1968 and the characters are on the cusp of the change from soul to funk, with the militancy that accompanies this. The main character is Derek Strange, a black rookie cop who later turns up in a series of contempory novels in which he's a private eye.
Anyway, if you haven't read them, check them out.
In the mean time, I'm off to watch my zits grow. I'll let you know what happens.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home