Sunday, June 3, 2007

Clint Eastwood, VAn Morrison and a flickering torch

The future: it's amazing how much time we spend living in a place that doesn't exist. Until it's taken away from us, of course. I suppose Sports Day got this into my mind. But there was another seemingly trivial incident that reinforced it. As you know, I am a complete music/book/movie junkie, so I was always ordering stuff off the internet etc. Just before the diagnosis, I'd preordered a box set of the 2 Clint Eastwood Iwo Jima movies. When they arrived this week, they were like a relic from another age; a time when I believed I could simply order something like that and then have all the time in the world to watch it whenever the notion took me. Before my life stretched in front of me like a path seen in the sunlight of early morning. Now, it's more like I'm walking in the dark. I have a flashlight but I'm not exactly sure when the battery will run out.
Aside from such morbid stuff, my reading is actually quite light. I've just finished Johnny Rogan's book on Van Morrison, No Surrender. Belfast being such a small place, those of us from there tend to have a fascination with those sons of the city who've made names for themselves outside our own little world. For all you Van fans, I'll include in my next post my own personal encounter with the (alleged) grumpiest man in showbiz.
See you then.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger MattM76 said...

"Before my life stretched in front of me like a path seen in the sunlight of early morning. Now, it's more like I'm walking in the dark. I have a flashlight but I'm not exactly sure when the battery will run out."

Beautifully moribund.

The inevitability of death is something that always comes as a surprise which is the ultimate irony.

As a 31 year old aware of my own mortality it still strikes me as improbable that one day I will cease to exist.

June 6, 2007 at 2:56 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home