Sunday, May 6, 2007

Own Meany, Mississippi John Hurt and how I've discovered that I was vain about my ankles

Yes, vain about my ankles! How fickle and superficial we are. See, I'm not a looker but, the other day, whether it was steriods, diabetes, whatever, my ankles became very swollen. They looked just like my mums and she's an 82 year-old woman who left school at 14 to go and work in the Belfast linen mills and whose body shows the terrible cost of growing up poor. And, it was only while looking at these swollen, ugly things that I thought "I had a nicely-turned ankle in my young day..."
Actually, I had a couple of days when I was pretty tried and sore. Today, we stayed at home, just the three of us, and it was exactly the day I needed to recharge and I feel the benefit of it.
The members of the Rocking Vicar blog - www.therockingvicar.com - have been coming up with some great music/book suggestions - I've started reading A Prayer for Own Meany and sometime mentioned Mississippi John Hurt, one of my very favourite old country blues guitarists. But here's a question: are re-reads of favourite books out? Should I concentrate on the ones I haven't got around to reading yet? Let me know what you think. And check back soon.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Charles Edward Frith said...

A terrific book 'A prayer for Owen Meany'. I still have the voice I developed in my mind for his character. Must have been 2002 that I read it even thought huge chunks are in the subconscious.

May 7, 2007 at 6:33 AM  
Blogger Gavin Hogg said...

I would say reread your favourites. There are always things you find that had passed you by on previous readings and if you already know you'll enjoy it it's much less of a gamble. When people recommend books I'm generally more disappointed than when people turn me on to new music - why that is, I have no idea.

May 10, 2007 at 1:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home