Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Hah, thought I chickened out, didn't ya? You don't know me...So, here it is, your free idea. Just remember, at no point did I say it was a good idea.
Al Jazeera gets a webcast from the commander of a platoon of coalition troops ( British or American? the choice you make will influence the action.) His men have been there for a long, long time and a recent incident ( friendly fire, civilians killed by mistake? again, the choice influences what follows.) is the straw that broke the camel's back. He announces that they're going home, packing up their stuff, going to the airport and staying there until a friendly plane takes them home.
So, what happens next? Are they far away from Baghdad or close to the airport. Again, that's a choice that dictates the action. I've a liking for things like Black HAwk Down or, more particularly, Walter Hill's The Warriors, where a short journey becomes an epic.
How do the authorities react? After all, this is desertion in the face of the enemy. But, in the modern world with the internet etc, these men, their wives, girlfriends and children all become well known. There's hige outrage, yes, but also great sympathy and they reflect the views of many people in their home country. So, how do the authoritied try to stop it? Do they use clandestine means, attacking with proxy forces? How do the rest of the military react? Are they heroes or traitors? What about within the platoon itself? Is everyone completely onboard with the plan or are some doubtful? Are the authorites texting them or whatever.
There are wider questions, too. In tone, this can be a serious, action-themed piece or a Dr Stranglelove style satire. Look at how Strangelove and the movie Failsafe tackle the same idea in vastly different ways.
So, there you go. Obviously, feel free to tell me the idea stinks but be kind. After all (kof,kof) I am a sick man.
Over to you.
Me, I've chemo tomorrow.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Tim F said...

I think it's a cracking idea. Reminds me (in tone, not the plot details) of the movie Three Kings, set in Gulf War I. All ties into our ambiguous perception of fighting men (back to Kipling).

But is there a part for Keira Knightley, I wonder? Seems to be compulsory these days...

July 4, 2007 at 4:49 AM  
Blogger Charles Edward Frith said...

Reminds me of something I wrote a long time ago when I realised that the Terror word is just so lame. One man's terrorist is another mans freedom fighter. One man's traitor is another man's hero.

And lately I've been thinking that Freedom for many in the wealthy U.S. is worth more than the freedom of many others elsewhere.

July 10, 2007 at 4:10 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home